Review: Undercover Princess

Undercover Princess Undercover Princess by Connie Glynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I saw this boom on the shelf at Tesco. The cover and the brief blurb intrigued me so I picked it up. I'm actually pretty glad I did. The book follows two young girls - Ellie and Lottie. One is a Princess and hiding it, the other is pretending to be the Princess to keep her safe. It follows their first year at an exclusive school - Rosewood Hall - and trying to work out just who is after the Princess before it's too late.

For as Prince and Pauper like - sort of - the plot is, it's a take on the thing I haven't actually read often. The idea of someone willingly stepping up to offer all they have to help protect another person, and the close bond that can form as a result was an interesting angle to take this from. The friendship between Ellie and Lottie is very heartwarming, two young girls doing their best to keep this big secret - though technically it's not, people just believe one of them is lying - and bonding very quickly. While they both come from very different sorts of backgrounds, there's enough common ground for them to have a fast friendship.

This book focuses more on Lottie's out of place feelings, so it would be interesting if - in the next book or so on - we see more of how Ellie can feel out of place. It's a surprisingly quick read, the events managing to jog along quite well. Occasionally the time skips - to cover a whole year - can feel a little odd, but that would happen with any book of this style.

Overall? I enjoyed the read, and I'd like to see what else happens to these characters. I like them. So, yes, worth a read.

View all my reviews

Comments