Review: Rise of the Isle of the Lost

Rise of the Isle of the Lost Rise of the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I read the second book Melissa de la Cruz had written for the Descendants series, I have to admit that it left me feeling like there was something really missing. I didn't know what it was, but it did make me hesistant to pick up the book until now. And... wow, self, you should have just pre-ordered and got it the day it came out

Rise of the Isle of the Lost takes us back to the Isle in a more ... reality ensues manners than the previous novel did. Not everyone is happy that Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay are out, they're actually a bit angry at it. That anger only grows when it comes out that those four might have had something to do with the barrier going back up within minutes of it looking like they might actually be free.

The Auradon VKs are trying hard to move on with their lives, but the Isle VKs do not have this choice.

Friends don't leave friends on the Isle.

This is Uma, daughter of Ursula's entire motivation. She may being framed as the villain in this and the sequel movie, but when your real motivation is just to get out of a really bad situation, it's hard to be angry. It helps. of course, that Uma is a fun character to read about and her pirate crew understand more of the world than most people in this franchise.

Okay not gonna lie I want to read something just based around Uma and Harry. That would be amazing. But this book was a return to good story telling of the first novel, and I hope that it sticks around.

View all my reviews

Comments